BUILDING A COMPASSIONATE WORLD, ONE MEAL AT A TIME.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Gratitude Tuesday: Gag-Fest


A little over three and a half years ago, I married the love of my life.  With his birthday falling this week, I felt like gushing a little about how fortunate I am, even though I know he's going to hate this post.  

We met through a work relationship when we both were in long-term relationships with other people.  The funny thing is that I never noticed him.  He was a commercial customer at my auto parts store, meaning we spoke on the phone almost daily but face-to-face contact was very rare.  I was horrible about getting his returns processed, and I'm pretty sure he was constantly annoyed by me.  It was strictly a business arrangement.  In September 2006, I left that job.  Of course, that meant that's our paths no longer crossed.  That December, my friend, Niki, convinced me to help work on the parade float for Jimmy's company.  I overslept, forgot to brush my teeth, and wore one of my many "funny" t-shirts... All to say, I was NOT expecting to meet my future husband that day.  What guy would be interested in a girl wearing a "Sex Panther Cologne" shirt, anyway?  (60% of the time, it works every time.). When we arrived at the shop to help load everything and head to the parade starting point, I think I "noticed" Jimmy for the first time.  He was rugged and handsome with wavy dark hair peaking out from under a red bandana.  Honestly, I didn't remember seeing him before.  So, yeah, I noticed he was hot, but I didn't know anything about him, aside from the fact that he built trucks for a living.  I was there to work, so I just ignored the attraction. We made banners and decorations, finishing the float just in time.  He asked Niki and I to throw candy for the kids, and that meant we were able to ride on the float during the parade.  I noticed him glancing at me and smirking occasionally while we waved at the onlooking crowd.  I started to wonder if he was interested in me.  

In the beginning...  Look at that wavy hair and those dark eyes.  Who could resist?

After the parade, he asked everyone who'd helped if we'd like to have dinner at his favorite Mexican joint.  Of course, we all appreciated free food and booze, so we obliged.  Over dinner, he and I got to know each other on a personal level.  We shared a pitcher (or two) of margaritas and laughed.  I found myself very attracted to this man who I'd never taken the time to know.  After dinner, being that we were both too inebriated to drive home, Niki drove us to my house to sober up.  After some TV and lots more laughs, at midnight she took us back to the restaurant to get our vehicles.  She dropped us off and quickly left us alone so as to not impede any private moments.  Ahem.  I was so taken by this kind, funny, soft-spoken, and insanely good-looking mechanic.  He was unlike anyone I'd ever met.  He seemed so gentle and calm.  It was quite refreshing. Before he walked away, he asked for my phone number.  I, of course, gave it to him.  He was a total gentleman and didn't even try to kiss me.  We parted ways, me smiling like an idiot.  I could hardly sleep that night due to the excitement I was feeling.  

The following day, we talked for three hours on the phone.  Anyone who knows him could tell you that he NEVER talks that much.  He's actually pretty shy.  So I took that as a very good sign.  We had our first date the following evening.  He arrived almost an hour late (classic Jimmy) to take me to a hockey game.   I was so impressed that he'd been listening that first night when I told his friend that I had always wanted to go but hadn't had the chance.  That was it.  We were inseparable.  

That smirk gets a me every time.  He can not be serious, not even for two seconds.

Over these last almost seven and a half years, he's been my encourager, my voice of reason, my supporter, my strength.  We have the easiest relationship.  I'm still waiting for that first big fight, but he's just so darn understanding.  We've been through a house remodel and didn't even try to kill each other, so I think he's a keeper.  

This.  Sigh.  Nothing sexier.

When our daughter was born last year, I fell even more deeply in love with him.  Watching him talk to her so gently, and seeing him teach her new things, I can barely contain my emotions.  He's the father I always wanted for my children... Calm, considerate, fun.  Charlotte looks at him like he hung the moon, and so do I.  He's the hardest working man I know, but always makes time for the important things in life.  He allows me to be me, even when it seems I've gone off the deep end.  He supports my dreams and always encourages me to strive for more.  He's the smartest man I know, but also the most humble.  He knows how to make me laugh through even the toughest situations.  I truly don't know where I'd be without him.  I am so grateful to have met and fallen in love with him.


Here's to you, Jimmy.  Happy birthday, baby!!

No comments:

Post a Comment