BUILDING A COMPASSIONATE WORLD, ONE MEAL AT A TIME.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Gratitude Tuesday (and a recipe too!)


It's FINALLY my kind of weather!  Here in middle Tennessee, it's been sunny and 80-degree temperatures for the past few days, and it doesn't look like that cold mess will be making another appearance any time soon.  Thank goodness!  I was ready to pack my bags (with nothing but flip-flops, bikinis, and sundresses) and move to a tropical island.  This was the coldest winter I can remember, and if it's the new weather pattern for Tennessee, I'm definitely moving south.  But now, with the blue skies, light breeze, and hot sun, it seems like a distant memory.  With that in mind, I give you this week's gratitude list:

1.  Beautiful weather!!  I waited (not so) patiently for it to arrive, and now that it's here, I'm taking full advantage.  Stroller rides for Charlotte and long walks for momma, weekends spent in the garden or back yard, eating big beautiful salads on restaurant patios... These are few of my favorite things.  
2.  Spring flowers and greenery.  This area of the US is one of the most beautiful, but ONLY in spring and summer if you ask me. Our falls bring a week or two of pretty colors, but then make way for a blanket brown, dry, crisp leaves.  I understand the need for seasons, blah, blah, blah, but that doesn't mean I like the change.  However, when spring arrives in full force here, it's truly worth the bitter months of frigid rain.  Pink dogwoods and white Bradford pear blooms abound, and I'm reminded of why I've lived here so many years.  It's incredibly beautiful.


3.  Babies!  No, I'm not pregnant.  Charlotte keeps me busy enough without having to wonder if she's trying to smother a younger sibling with "love".  I'm talking about the new additions to my employers' "nature preserve".  The landfill where I spend my days is a no-hunting zone, so every spring we are blessed with fawns and goslings, too many to count.  They are a sign that winter has finally gone and spring is here to stay.  I love driving slowly in or out of the gate while watching the momma geese swim with four or five tiny gray specks following her, or the mother deer leading her clumsy offspring into the tree-line to find berries.  Watching other species demonstrate the same caring and loving attitude toward their children that I feel for mine is just one of the many reasons I stopped eating animals.


4.  Clover.  I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm kind of on a roll.  I've found no fewer than 15 four-leaf clovers in the past two weeks, and 3 five-leaf!  I didn't know that was possible!  I don't think they really equate to luck since I'm still a full-time employee and not sipping margaritas on a beach somewhere while my handsome husband drives around in a brand new Aston Martin, but it does make my inner 5-year-old giddy.  I've always been good at finding them, but this year, I've set a record.
5.  Rain.  I know, I know... It sound contradictory after my whole "I hate the winter" rant, but once it's warm and green, the light rain can feel so calming.  It seems to clear the air of negative energy (and pollen), and give way to brighter, sunnier days.  Plus, now that my garden is planted, I'll need some help getting that gorgeous food to grow.  Lord knows I don't have the greenest of thumbs.  My cactus in my office is barely clinging to life.  True story.

 
6.  Green smoothies!  After juicing my breakfast for a couple of months, I'm back in my smoothie-phase.  It's just quicker, and things have seemed rushed lately.  (The rush seems to have coincided with a certain little girl mastering the art of walking.)  I love the variations I can come up with in a hurry, and knowing that I'm starting my day with a big boost of nutrition keeps me focused throughout the day.  Charlotte has even been enjoying them on our way to grandma's house.  I'm so thankful that my health was challenged before I ever became pregnant so that I could learn how to raise a healthy child.  She will eat almost anything!  The kid loves veggies, and for that, I feel truly blessed.  

Since I'm honoring my love of green smoothies, I figured I'd share one of my favorites.  I don't use a "recipe" per se, but these are more like suggestions.  Feel free to alter it in any way to suit your taste buds.  Besides, a green smoothie is only good for you if you actually DRINK IT.  


Banana Strawberry Basil Breakfast Smoothie

1 cup almond milk
1-2 frozen bananas
1 cup frozen or fresh strawberries
1/4-1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil
1-3 stalks celery, chopped
2 dates
1 tsp vanilla
Dash of cayenne pepper

Optional toppings:  dried mulberries, sprouted buckwheat, cacao nibs, dried coconut flakes

Add all ingredients to a blender and blend away.  I love the taste that fresh basil adds to this smoothie, and it pairs so well with strawberries.  It's a very cool and crisp tasting drink that's perfect for hot days.  If you don't have or just don't like celery, use a cup or two of spinach, or even kale.  If you don't have dates, use a tablespoon of maple syrup or some stevia.  It's a great basic recipe to start adding some green into your mornings.  I like to add my vanilla protein powder and a scoop of Perfect Food Raw for an extra boost.  Give it a shot and see what you think.

Until next time, give thanks, eat green and live lean!

No comments:

Post a Comment