BUILDING A COMPASSIONATE WORLD, ONE MEAL AT A TIME.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Dessert Recipe: Raw Vegan Mint Chip Pudding


Sometimes, the best recipes happen by accident.  On this beautiful Mother's Day, I enjoyed a vegan picnic lunch with family at the Old Stone Fort State Park where we saw waterfalls and toured a museum of Native American history.  It was a perfect day.  However, after discovering a tick in my nether-regions, I thought I deserved something decadent.  

I looked around my kitchen for something creamy and sweet.  Nothing caught my eye.  Then, Charlotte spotted the bowl of ripe avocados on the table, pointed and grunted, and I knew.  Believe it or not, I've never made avocado pudding!  I know, crazy for someone who loves raw food.  It's a staple in most raw kitchens, but for some reason, I just prefer my avocado savory.  Today was different.  One spur-of-the-moment thought and a grunting toddler led to my new favorite dessert...  Mint chip pudding!


Raw Vegan Mint Chip Pudding

1/2-1 whole avocado (Charlotte stole part of mine, so I had 3/4 of one.)
1 banana
2 dates
2 tbsp chia seeds 
1 cup almond milk (more if needed)
1 tsp vanilla extract
5-6 drops peppermint essential oil (I think 1/4-1/2 tsp of extract would also work)
1 tbsp cacao nibs (or chocolate chips)
Stevia to taste

First, put the dates and chia seeds in a bowl and mix with the almond milk.  Stir and allow them to sit for at least 15 minutes so that the chia seeds can expand and the dates can soften slightly. Once the chia mixture is gelatinous, add it to a blender with the avocado, banana, and vanilla.  Blend until smooth.  Then add the vanilla extract, peppermint, and cacao.  (It'll be fairly sweet, but this is where you'd add stevia if you wish.  I added 2 scoops of the powdered stuff to make mine super-sweet.)  Blend for just a few seconds to combine the flavors and break down the cacao nibs or chocolate chips into tiny pieces.  It makes enough for about four dessert servings, but I think mine will just be dinner.  Haha!  I, actually ate a small cup of this and put the rest in the freezer to turn it into ice cream.  We shall see how that goes.  


This recipe was even Mom approved.  And she's an omnivore!  I'm serious, the noises she made when she tasted it were far from G-rated.  I'm sure you'll agree once you've tasted it.  Wow!  Sometimes, I amaze myself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment