BUILDING A COMPASSIONATE WORLD, ONE MEAL AT A TIME.

Monday, September 22, 2014

Almost Raw Pumpkin Spiced Groatmeal


According to my calendar, it's officially fall, but since I'm still wearing flip flops, I'm not convinced.  The weather is slowly changing, which is unusual for Tennessee.  We typically go from 90 degrees to snowing over one weekend.  This year, though, I'm appreciating the gradual change.  It's allowing my to process my conflicting emotions... Sadness for not taking a beach vacation this summer, but hope for the coming holiday season.  Can you believe it'll be Christmas in just THREE MONTHS?!  Charlotte will be 18 months old next week, too.  We're halfway to her second birthday, and thinking about that makes me want to cry.  Time is going too fast.  

But in the spirit of change, and to help welcome the new season, I decided to go along with the most American of traditions, pumpkin spiced anything.  I made a big bowl of my favorite cool weather breakfast and brought it to work for lunch today.  Groatmeal is basically just soaked oat groats blended with nut milk or water.  You can flavor it anyway you want.  Chocolate, anyone?  Today, though, I made a fall version... 


Almost Raw Pumpkin Spiced Groatmeal

(Serves one or two)

1/2 cup oat groats, soaked overnight and rinsed
1/2 cup nut milk or water
1 ripe banana
1/2 cup pumpkin purée (if you have fresh pie pumpkins, just add cubes in the equivalent amount to keep the recipe all raw.)
1 tsp vanilla
2 medjool dates (or your favorite sweetener to taste)
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp ginger powder
Optional:  protein powder, walnuts/pecans/almonds, chocolate chips/ cacao nibs, etc.

Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend to desires consistency.  I like mine creamy but with a little something to chew. You could transfer it to a pot and warm it on the stove if you'd like.  


This groatmeal is very filling and hearty.  It's great fuel to keep you going all day.  I've found that eating a bowl like this before my errand running on Saturdays will keep me full until dinner time.  Crazy, I know.  That's the great thing about whole foods... You get the protein and fiber with the carbs.  Whole oats are so satisfying!  

P.S.  I've been decluttering my office and deep cleaning.  I work in a very dusty environment, so it's hard to keep things clean.  Since I'm trying to keep my body as clean as possible, I'm starting to want to keep my environment clean as well.  It feels so nice to walk into an open uncluttered work space every morning.  I plan to tackle some drawers at home in the coming days.  Try it out.  Pick a spot and clear away the unneeded items, and clean that space.  Notice how good it feels.  I'm starting to notice how nice minimalist living could be.  Who knows where this will lead. ;-)


So far, I've cleared all drawers of clutter and extra supplies, dusted inside and out, vacuumed every surface top to bottom, and downsized my picture collection.  I'm no longer allowing any paperwork to sit on the desk overnight.  Everything must be dealt with before I go home.  It's really making me more productive having less "stuff" to hide behind.  I feel great about this space now.  It's still old, dingy, and in need of TLC, but it's open and clear.  I may need to invest in a feng shui book, if this keeps up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment