BUILDING A COMPASSIONATE WORLD, ONE MEAL AT A TIME.

Friday, September 5, 2014

Oh my! Raw Vegan Peach Pie


Living so close to Georgia, peaches are in abundance all summer.  I'm fortunate enough to have access to some of the best tasting, organically-grown, ripe peaches at my local farmers market every Saturday throughout most of the summer months.  It's good to live in the south, let me tell ya.  The only thing is that they don't last long.  And since my eyes are ALWAYS bigger than my stomach, I end up with too many ripening too quickly.  What to do when you've got 8 or so peaches starting to draw knats?  You make a raw vegan peach pie, of course!  

Since I was off work for Labor Day Monday, and Charlotte was napping, I got creative in the kitchen.  Here's what I came up with:

Raw Vegan Peach Pie

CRUST
1/2 cup soaked, sprouted, dried buckwheat
1/2 cup gluten-free oats (could use all oats or all buckwheat if you'd like, but I had a little buckwheat that needed to be used, yet not enough to make the whole thing.)
1 cup medjool dates (of using a harder date, just soak them for an hour ahead of time.)
1 tsp coconut oil
Pinch if sea salt (optional)

Going into the food processor...

Pulse all ingredients in a food processor until it forms a crumble that sticks together when pinched.  Press the crumble evenly into a pie pan and set aside.

And pressed into the pan.

FILLING
4 peaches, thinly sliced

2 peaches, roughly chopped
2 dates
1/4 cup coconut sugar (brown sugar would work, but isn't healthy.)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger


Blend all filling ingredients except the sliced peaches until smooth.  Stir the blended mixture with the sliced peaches, then add to the crust.

CRUMBLE TOPPING
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup dates
2 tbsp chia seeds or flax meal


Pulse the topping ingredients in the food processor until a nice sticky crumble forms.  Sprinkle over the top of the pie.  


Just refrigerate for a few hours to let the flavors really mingle, and you've got a healthy, whole-food dessert that just screams "summer".  

Ooey-gooey goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment