BUILDING A COMPASSIONATE WORLD, ONE MEAL AT A TIME.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Recipe: Quick and Easy Raw Pad Thai

Since I discovered raw and living foods, this has been one of my go-to dinner recipes.  It's really fast to whip up, delicious, and with so much fiber, very filling.  Plus, it's super versatile and easy to adjust depending on what's in the fridge.


Raw Vegan Pad Thai
Serves 1 or 2

Noodles
3-4 of your favorite veggie:  carrots, zucchini, diakon radish, cucumber, etc. (Use all of one or a combination.  It's totally up to you.  For the bowl in the pic, I used 4 heirloom, colorful carrots.)
1-2 scallions
Cilantro, for garnishing

Sauce
2 tbsp tahini (can use peanut, almond, or cashew butter)
1-2 tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos (could use soy sauce, tamari, nama shoyu)
1 lemon, juiced
1 tbsp sweetener of choice
1 garlic clove (or tsp garlic powder) 
1" fresh ginger (or tsp ginger powder)
Dash of cayenne pepper

For the noodles, just cut into shreds using your favorite tool for the job.  I used my food processor with the shredder plate.  It was the fasted way to go for me.  If you don't have a special tool or processor, just use a veggie peeler and make long flat noodles.  Chop the scallions finely and set aside.  

For the sauce, blend all the ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.  I have a Baby Bullet that works great for small batches of sauce and dressings. 

In a large bowl, add the sauce and noodles, then combine well until all of the noodles are coated.  Sprinkle the scallions and cilantro on top, and lightly mix.  You want the color from the toppings to stay vibrant for presentation. I was out of cilantro, so I just left it out this time.  

Then, pull out a pair of chopsticks, and dig in!  You may use a fork if you must, but I think it takes away from the feeling of eating international cuisine. ;-)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment