BUILDING A COMPASSIONATE WORLD, ONE MEAL AT A TIME.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Gratitude Tuesday

Today, as every day, I have much to be thankful for.  But this week, I want to focus on one major blessing in my life:  My mom.  



We grew up poor, but I had an amazing childhood.  I always felt loved.  I had good food, all cooked from-scratch, every day.  She taught me to grow my own food and how to prepare or cook it.  It's because of her that my vegan meals are so tasty today.  She raised me to be compassionate and always give people the benefit of doubt.  She's not perfect (I mean, she was a child of the 60s and 70s), but she raised three very responsible, healthy, socially-conscious, giving, yet completely different children.  My brothers and I were fortunate enough to be brought-up on a large plot of land, mostly hills and woods, where we could play free from the threat of random violence.  We ran barefoot, climbed trees, swam in creeks, "rescued" lizards and turtles, threw darts at each other (thanks Jeff!), and never had to come home before sunset.  I am sure that it's because of our parents that we all have such an appreciation of nature as adults. 

After our parents divorced, mom worked her ass off to provide a safe, clean home for us, even moving Matt and I to Nashville to provide us with more career opportunities later in life.  I've seen her work 80-90 hours per week when her second husband was laid-off from his construction job, just so the mortgage wouldn't be late.  She's been through so much and taken some hard hits over the years, but she always gets up, brushes herself off, and takes on the next challenge, all while sporting perfectly manicured nails.  I'm sure there have been times when she's questioned "why me?", but if she hadn't had the opportunity to set such a strong example, I don't think I'd be the person I am today.  



Because of her, I know how to be a hard working woman.  Because of her, I know how to cook amazing meals with the simplest ingredients.  Because of her, I know how to be a caring member of society.  But most of all, because of her, I know how to be a great mom.  

I love you, mommy!

No comments:

Post a Comment