BUILDING A COMPASSIONATE WORLD, ONE MEAL AT A TIME.

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Quick and Easy Raw Caramel Fruit Dip

Another fruit dip?  You betcha!  You could say that I'm going through a "dip phase". There's something so satisfying about that goo-on-a-chip thing.  It probably stems from my years of eating Mexican food twice weekly and filling up on chips and salsa before my meal ever arrived.  I suppose dips are popular because they're simple, portable food.  And the portable factor is likely why I'm eating a lot of dips right now.  When you're running out the door in the morning, it's so easy to just throw a covered bowl and some fruit or veggies in a bag and go.  

I created this incredibly easy fruit dip by accident while making a raw caramel to pair with my raw chocolate candy.  I had leftovers and thought, "hmm... I wonder how that would taste on some strawberries?"  You know what?  It was AMAZING!  So, I made some more.  Obviously.  This stuff is fool-proof.  You really can't mess it up.  

Raw Caramel Fruit Dip

1 cup dates (I used medjool)
1/2-1 cup filtered water
2 tbsp (or more) nut butter (I used almond butter)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt

Soak the dates in filtered water for a couple of hours or overnight, using enough water to almost cover them, but not too much.  After soaking, add the dates and soak water to a blender along with all other ingredients and blend until smooth.  That's it!  It's so simple, so sweet, and SO satisfying.  This dip is wonderful on apples, bananas, and berries.  I think it would be amazing on some nut-based, lightly salted crackers, too.  Salted caramel, anyone?  I could see adding shredded coconut and topping your favorite raw chocolate cake with it.  Remember German Chocolate cake?  Yum!  If you love caramel, but want a healthier alternative, I think this could be perfect.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment