BUILDING A COMPASSIONATE WORLD, ONE MEAL AT A TIME.

Sunday, October 27, 2013

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

It's that time of year again!  No, not the holidays.  I'm talking about pomegranate season!  Right now, pomegranates are everywhere, and even better yet, they're on sale.  "But how do you eat a pomegranate?"  Well, some might tell you to cut it in half and smack the outside with a spoon, but I find that just doesn't get all of the seeds out.  When I'm opening one, I stab the top, score the sides, and tear it apart.  When I do, all of those gorgeous, jewel-tones bits of juicy goodness start to drop onto the counter.... Or into a bowl.  Personally, I like to just gently roll the seeds out one by one while carefully peeling back the membrane.  I'm poor, so I don't want to waste a bit.  It takes a little time, and your hands will get slightly stained, but I just consider that nature's fall manicure.
     I'm a purist, so I love to just pop the seeds out and grab a spoon so that I can enjoy them while watching an old episode of The-X-Files, my most recent Netflix rerun addiction.  (I developed a crush on Mulder at ten years old, and well, it's never left me).  If you want to try something more creative, just toss them into a salad with some baby greens, green onion, avocado, and a simple oil and vinegar dressing.  The seeds will burst with sour-sweet pops in every bite.  What about you?  How do you enjoy these delicious fall fruits?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Lindsey. I always did the spoon hammering thing. Now I have another way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you peel into it while your hands are in a bowl of water, it'll keep you from getting stained. I kinda like the evidence to linger, but I'm weird like that. Haha!

      Delete